Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Haleigh's dance recital and birthday

My oldest granddaughter, Haleigh, is 7 years old and in second grade. Her sister, Hannah, is 2 years old and is my youngest granddaughter (at this point in my life). They live with mommy (my daughter) and daddy in a city that is 170 miles from my home. I don't get to see them on a regular basis; as often as I getto see my other granddaughter, Willa. Willa is 3 years old. Willa and her mommy (my daughter) and daddy live very close to me.

I attended Haleigh's second dance recital on June 14, 2008 (that was also her 7th birthday). She has been enrolled in dance classes for 2 years; jazz, ballet, and tap. With only having 2 years experience she gave excellent performances. She didn't make one "boo-boo"; or if she did it wasn't noticeable. I was very proud of her! If she would decide to pursue this talent, I think she will be very successful.

Mommy and daddy had to leave little sister with a "sitter"; she just isn't quite old enough to understand that you need to sit still and be quiet during recitals. Like all little sisters, Hannah thinks she is big enough to do everything her big sister does!

Haleigh is also on a "diving team". I was able to attend one of her diving meets in July 2008. She, again, performed very well. However, their team didn't return home with any medals. I was so nervous when she was performing her flip (I think that is what this particular dive is called). Mommy told me that she had hit her head on the diving board during a previous practice and that Haleigh had become a little apprehensive since that incident. The incident didn't cause any serious injuries; I'm so thankful! I was still so nervous watching her. The back flip dive has a higher degree of difficulty. I was so very nervous when she had to perform this dive. She performed the back flip pretty well. It wasn't the best; but considering the incident she experienced at practice, I think she did a great job! Her "front dive" was EXCELLENT! She has a great front dive (and I really mean GREAT); and she is only 7 years old!!!! I think she could become a great diver if she decides to pursue this talent further (as well as the dancing talent) . Am I a typical Gramma, or what?

I don't know how long the "diving and dancing" phase will last. What will be next? I'm very happy that she is doing what makes her happy; and that those things are things that help her "grow" and "mature". I am very proud of her and love her very much!

No comments: